Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Raindrops on Irises

Plane, train, underground, train.
Here I am at Waterloo Station in London waiting for the train to Poole.

Back with my kind and hospitable friend Caroline
 ... dinner the next day ... fresh vegetables ... Yes!!!

Today Caroline and I went to Mottisfont.
Acres of beautiful gardens and a manor home whose origin dates from the 1200s.

There are a series of walled gardens, this one full of roses.

Mom, some irises for you.


Despite the cool, drizzly conditions we and many others, especially groups of young moms with their happy children, enjoyed this unique property.

The cafes on site make use of the produce grown here.

This manor house started out as a priory. This was later used to store produce and of course, the wine.


The owner, Maud Russell put her artistic talents into the property, she was involved in the design both in her home and on the grounds. She and her husband owned the property from 1934 until it was willed to the National Trust in 1957.




Mottisfont means meeting place by the spring.

Next we visited nearby Hillier Gardens.

I enjoyed the permanent art show.
Love the stand
If you can't see the detail, it is a pitchfork.

Dogwood
Cornus kousa
Moonbeam
Slightly different from our BC dogwoods.

Raindrops on Iris

A very cool bee hive.

Beautiful 

Today's Camino.

Ok I like the irises

And I am obsessed with vegetables.
I got to make dinner this evening...
With much help from Caroline and her talented daughter Sarah.
The mains is roasted beets with quinoa and pine nuts. Delicious.


2 comments:

  1. I knew you would approve Laura. I am so sorry for all of the meat photos in Spain. I only saw 1 vegan restaurant there and that was on the last day. A vegan just could not survive on the camino. Some albergues had kitchens but groceries were not readily available.

    ReplyDelete