Friday, March 6, 2020

AUSTRALIA ~ Melbourne

February 16 waking up early to sunrise over Melbourne from our cabin balcony.

We woke up to an email from Juhree who along with her husband Robert are looking after Chip for the first week of our vacation. They also have a very adorable schnauzer puppy named Nike. Poor Chip ended up hiding in a closet to escape from the never ending puppy love. Juhree and Robert felt badly, they are such dog lovers and felt for Chip. They ended up having to occasionally put Nike in a fenced off area to give Chip a break. After 1 week Chip went to stay with our neighbours Paul and Anna, I think he was thankful for the peace and quiet at their home.

We had arranged to meet my friend Patrick, his wife Ebony and their son, my BFF Rosalie's grandson, Arlen. They picked up Keith and me, travel scooter and all and took us to the Botanical Gardens. 
I always admire the foresight of early town planners that put aside huge portions of land for parks in the middle of what is to become a huge city. Stanley Park, Beacon Hill Park, Central Park, Hyde Park (both in London and Sydney) ... thank you!
What a joy to see young Arlen running on the grass, though my heart ached for Rosalie who is so darn far away from her delightful grandson.

A Coot perhaps?

Such a gorgeous setting! Note the high-rises in the background.

After a wonderful morning we had Ebony and Patrick drop us off at the beach so we could walk back to the ship and enjoy the warm sunshine. 
There are kilometers of volleyball nets along the beach. No wonder the Aussies dominate this sport at the Olympics.

Unfortunately we did not get to the city or to see the river... but on a cruise ship one has limited time and can only experience a very small portion of each port.

This appears to be the same wee bird species that we photographed at Bondi Beach.

Majestic Princess
Back on board we found Mom and caught up with each other's day. Mom had taken transit into town and befriended a local that took her out for coffee.

2 days at Sea and a Formal Night 
Handsome Keith with our fabulous server Jesse from the Phillipines.

Me with my Mom, I consider myself so very fortunate to still have my Mom around! So many of my friends no longer do, so I cherish every moment I am with her. She is amazing, always pushing herself to walk just 1 more kilometer. I can see how difficult it is to reconcile the travel bug with an aging body. It is not at all easy! But Mom always puts on a cheerful face and is game for most things.

Again ~ Happy Hubby ~ We all 3 enjoyed the dining room fare and the friendly and kind staff! 
  
Another delicious dessert. I really did enjoy the main courses as well, just did not take photos of them.

All gussied up ... that seldom happens. 

At sea for 1 day before Adelaide.
From our cabin balcony.

I joined the 9am stitch group which meets on sea days. I took a small project and was able to finish the handwork while on the cruise. One of the fellow stitchers loves to play cards so we started meeting her and her partner at 11am on sea days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment