Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Can I walk 29 Kms?

DH took our schnauzer Chip to work today so that I could have another full training day. I decided to walk the E&N Rail Trail. My initial plan was to walk until about 4pm then take a bus back to James Bay. I started later than I wanted, it was 10:30 before I had finished getting ready. It was cold enough to wear gloves, about 5C with clear blue sky. I walked along the waterfront and over our lovely Blue Bridge and along the Songhees waterfront before joining the trail on Esquimalt Rd just past Spinakers Pub. I have walked this portion quite a few times so I do find it rather boring, especially this time of year before the spring flowers start to appear. It took me 1.5 hours to get to Admiral's Walk, my Aunt and Uncles neighbourhood. My dear Uncle G has recently passed away after living with dementia for many years. I wanted to pay my respects so I dropped in. Luckily three of my cousins were there so I visited for about 40 minutes. My cousin S is visiting from Toronto, we are the same age and were even in the same grade 1 class. I am very quiet and passive, she is not. S tried on my backpack and walked around with it for a while asking many good questions and making great suggestions. I told her that I have always admired her curiosity and that I am working on being less passive and more curious, that she is my inspiration in this endeavor. I love this family of cousins and my aunt and uncle. They are a diverse and accomplished family. Unfortunately I was unable to see Aunty H as she was sick in bed. She and cousin A had been taking care of Uncle G and were able to keep him at home until a few days before he died. I assume that they are both exhausted.
Then back on the trail, I decided to go to Thetis Lake where I could hike up some hills and through the woods. I stopped to sit in the sun and eat my snacks and put a few bandaids on my feet. I had such a wonderful sense of well being as I walked around both Upper and Lower Thetis. I stopped to talk to a few dogs and their owners and marveled at how much of the Lakes are still covered in ice. One dog walker told me that she had seen a family of otters swimming in the lake. It was about 3:30pm when I exited the park and began retracing my steps back to James Bay. I was getting tired so put on the tunes which put an extra bounce in my step.
Once I got home at 6:15 (after a detour to downtown to complete a couple of errands) I was amazed to see that I had walked about 33 kms, my feet were tired but my back felt fine after carrying a 15lb pack all day. This is good news as day 3 of my camino will be 29kms, I am feeling more confident.
from Songhees looking towards home.
The destruction of Laurel Pt is visible with
our condo building behind ~ the tallest 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment