Monday, March 4, 2019

Training

I tend to walk quite a bit in my regular life. I do not own a car and since I live close to downtown I am happy to do all my errands on foot. The last few weeks have seen me (and sometimes with my schnauzer Chip) walking the streets wearing my backpack.
I love my backpack, purchased a few months ago from our local outdoor store Robinsons. They were awesome, helping me select the best backpack for my size and for my adventure. The saleswoman spent much time fitting the backpack to me and stressed that I should come back just prior to my departure, with my packed pack, for any last minute adjustments.
I am a very poor packer, always packing too much. I am a planner and like to be prepared for any occurrence.  Fortunately I have done much research and I think I have this all under control. We'll see. The plan is to keep the weight down to 16 pounds (without food and water). Even lighter would be preferable. Again ...We'll see.
This February Victoria has had lots of snow and mostly temperatures below freezing. Not conducive to training. I could have exercised up (& down) the stairs in my 11 story condo building but I did not. But I am very disciplined about daily doing a 40 minute DVD workout which includes a lot of leg work.
So yesterday I set out with a 14 pound pack, taking the bus to Beaver Lake. My first mistake was getting off 1 stop too early. On the way to the proper stop, the bitter north wind blowing in my face ... bringing tears to my eyes, I spied a "shortcut" to the lake. It turned out to take me by way of the fields that one sees from the highway (remember Kathy when we walked that way?) . Well the fields were flooded and then frozen with ice and then some snow. It was a difficult slog trying not to slip .... no broken limbs for me thank you very much! That short cut took about 30 minutes longer due to the conditions. I kept telling myself that it was all good cuz I was walking ... and it was fine. I managed. Once I got to the main trail there was little ice and conditions were better. It was my original plan to detour up Bear Hill, I changed my mind thinking that it would be icy as well.
A great walk in all, I saw a beautiful Great Blue Heron, a flock of American Coots,  a Pileated Woodpecker, many friendly dogs (Chip went to work with Keith) and a flock of young moms with their babies in snugglies. The sun was shining full force, it was cold but I was dressed for it. My pack felt light, I was in my happy place.
I walked all the way around the two lakes then took the path to Pipeline Rd and then on to Village Restaurant where I stopped for lunch. Soup was on my mind but as there was alcohol in the soup (alcohol, even cooked in food provokes my mild epilepsy and gives me a seizure) so chose another item. I have made up a note to pass to waiters in Spain to explain my issue. That is one thing I am concerned about, but will not dwell on.
Onward through the tunnel under the Pat Bay highway, along Rithet's Bog Bird Sanctuary and then eventually joined the Galloping Goose which took me back to James Bay. I do love Victoria and that I can walk all day, mostly on trails and only have 3 traffic light crossings. So 6 hours walking including lunch stop netted just over 24 kms. A very good day. My feet (& my eyes ~ the wind!) were certainly tired but it was a good tired. There will be many more long days of training ahead. Life is good.
That evening I received a WhatsApp message from my friend C in England. She sent a photo of her hiking the previous day ~ in short sleeves! While I was slogging in ice, snow and wind. Oh well, I will soon be in sunny Spain.

That melting snow has to go somewhere. Elk Lk is very high, note the bench surrounded by lake water.

2 comments:

  1. I do remember that walk Deb in the dark! Such a great place for a walk though
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was, in the summer! Oh well, this entire trip is about being challenged.

    ReplyDelete