Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Adios

What is an appropriate activity on one's final day in England?
Go to Chartwell of course!
 Home of Winston and Clementine Churchill

Churchill's Chartwell Chickens

There are 2 very nice walled gardens at Chartwell. This long brick wall was made by Winston (with a bit of help from others) between 1925 and 1932. 
Very impressive

I love this.
It was a cigar cabinet.
The inscription reads
..."with compliments of La Comision Nacional de Propoganda y Defensa del Tabaco Habano"
Perfect for storing his paints.
After he smoked all of the cigars.

Winston had a large 2 room studio away from the main house.
His many paintings were displayed in the house and studio. I quite liked his style.
A view of the lovely property and the art studio from the terrace off of Clementine's sitting room.
She could look out over her husband's art studio.

Churchill's office
The house was not huge.
Churchill was not the oldest son so did not inherit the family estate of Blenheim.

Churchill's hand written corrections.

National Trust always offers delicious food.
Here Spring is enjoying an English specialty, tea with scone and clotted cream.
Well we did walk 12 kms today.

In one of the walled gardens.

On a very busy train, on our way to The Gatwick Neighbourhood.
You all know what that means.

The End

I have really really enjoyed sharing my journey with you all. So many of you have told me that you look forward to reading my blog every morning. It was so nice to write this every evening knowing that it was appreciated.
So back to reality, cooking, cleaning, buying groceries, walking Chip (and my friend Shirley reminds me "what about quilting?"). Walking 1240 kms was easy, readapting to home? ...I hope I can. Thankfully I have a kind and understanding husband patiently waiting for me. Thank you Keith!!!
I owe many thanks to so many others as well...
Alice - for encouraging me and always happy to talk camino. And for the encouraging and insightful emails along the way.
Caroline - for coming to BC and then for hosting me for so many days. And for spending 10 days walking the South Downs Way with me. Your turn to return to BC.
Karin, Lonnie, Danielle and Martina, for sharing your stories and your positive energy, with me on our caminos.
Laura and Laurie - for inspiring me to travel well.
Mom, Tom & Gary for being there always and loving me.
Dylan and Brian - for being proud of their ole Mom.
Spring - for joining me on my adventure and always being positive and keeping me laughing.
Wow so many people have made my travelling life and my home life so special. I am extremely lucky.

The End
For Real This Time
❤🇬🇧❤✈❤




1 comment:

  1. A tear in my eye as I read this, Deb. You are an excellent storyteller. I have so much enjoyed reading all your writings. Glad you enjoyed Chartwell yesterday. I trust you won't be hanging up your travellin' shoes for good. Thanks for sharing your story.
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete