Monday, June 3, 2019

What Goes Down Must Come Up



South Downs Way Day 2
Exton to Buriton
13 miles/21 kms
After a healthier breakfast, our hostess Cathy, drove us back to where she had picked us up yesterday.
The weather was looking quite promising.
The day started out with an uphill ... the Downs are up high but the villages are generally down low (no puns intended) so this will be a usual pattern.
Too bad these sheep got in the way of my landscape shot.... haha .... I can feel a lovely wave of well being come over me when I stop to watch the sheep. It is so calming.
On our way up Old Winchester Hill

Iron age hill fort site

Beautiful 360 degree views.

Caroline finding Southampton and The Isle of Wight.

Just after the hill fort
Looking North

Mom was mentioning that the walking would be easier now that I am walking without my backpack. Well guess what, still porting it but it weighs about 16 pounds rather than 20. 
I am carrying my rain gear, some clothing, my water bladder system, lunch and a few other items. I am sharing a suitcase with Caroline for some additional clothing which is transported every day.

Just in time for Elevenses we came across this help yourself tea room at a fishing resort. Pay by honour system. Coincidentally the rain started just as we got there. The sun was out when we left. It is all about the timing.

A sign explaining that the Downs land is carefully managed by local farmers. It appears that grazing of sheep is beneficial.

So of course that gives me the perfect excuse to post more lambs and their mommas. This Mom has one of each ... a black lamb and a white lamb ❤.

More pretty scenery.

Cathy had provided us with a packed lunch.
The sandwich is made with her homemade bread. She probably also made the fruitcake and the not-too-sweet chocolate dessert bar as well.

Butser Hill
The highest point of the South Downs Way.
270 meters

We had quite a bit of up and down today. Caroline was worried that I would be too fit after walking in Spain for 2 months. She needn't have worried, I am having to push myself to keep up with her.
Much of today's walk was through large stands of beech forest which sheltered us from both rain and sun.

The Village Inn in Buriton
Our beds for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment