Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Thoughts of Nanny

Buriton to Cocking
South Downs Way Day 3
18 kms/11 miles (but we actually walked 22 kms)
A magnificent avenue of Copper Beech trees.

The sun came out for a minute just as we arrived at this scenic spot.
Dog roses and flowering blackberry brambles in the foreground.

Good thing I took some scenery photos at this point cuz the afternoon turned out to be not favourable for photos.

At about 4 miles along the Way we took a detour to Uppark Manor.
The property was gifted to The National Trust in 1954. Due to maintenance work on the roof, the manor was destroyed by fire in 1989.
The decision was made to recreate the house which was completed with amazing attention to detail in 1995.
The above photo shows the "back" door.

Front door view.
Photos were not permitted "Above Stairs".

...but were permitted "below stairs".
There were separate buildings constructed to house the downstairs lot as well as the kitchens with a very long tunnel connecting to the manor house.
As I go through these National Trust properties I consider my great grandmother Daisy who worked "in service". I wish that I had talked to her when I had the opportunity. I am very ashamed to say that to me, at the age of 20, she was just an old lady of no consequence. Of course I am kicking myself now. She gave birth to and raised my very special grandmother Eva, she bravely emigrated to Canada, she rose from being an illegitimate child in service in the small English town of Braintree to a property owner in Vancouver. Oh how I would love to talk to Nanny now! 

What were her duties? Perhaps she stirred the pots - like the ones pictured above, or kept the fires burning, did the laundry? Was she happy? Did they treat their staff well?

There was just a small garden to enjoy.

Even though we had purchased sandwiches for today's lunch from our last night's accommodation we decided to enjoy the homemade soup here. 

The rain began as soon as we left Uppark and continued for a couple of hours.
We donned our rain gear, heads down and set off. I was missing my $100 poncho which someone working for Ryanair must have needed more than me but I stayed dry with my gortex and rainpants. Sadly my feet didn't however. These old boots will not be making the trip back to Canada.
The 3rd hour was better, we even saw some glimpses of sun. Our B&B host picked us up at Cocking and drove us to his home in Midhurst, he will drive us back to the same location tomorrow morning.
We enjoyed an after dinner (remember those uneaten sandwiches?) walk around this historic village. 





2 comments:

  1. Those old boots, you'll be sad to let them go. They've been with you for many miles.
    Interesting about your great-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes for sure.
    Those boots have been so good to me.
    No blisters on the Via de la Plata = priceless!

    ReplyDelete