Friday, May 3, 2019

A XRoad

I have now, as of yesterday, finished walking The Via de la Plata. Our choices are a right fork to Astorga which joins the busy Camino Frances or the left fork to follow the Camino Sanabres.
Left it is.

Many readers ask me how my feet are faring.
I thank my feet every day. ...And my legs. So many people my age suffer from mobility issues, including of course my DH. So this makes me doubly aware of my good fortune. Knock on wood I have not yet suffered from blisters or even my usual heel pain. I am very fortunate.
The benefit of a 7am start is a beautiful sunrise.
Immediately the terrain was beautifully picturesque
                           The River Esla
We took a wrong turn but a happy one to see this lovely view.
                           Puente Quintos

Immediately after the bridge the camino took a left and followed the shoreline on a rough rocky path. I was pleased as so far the camino has been on country roads, this was more like what I am used to. The others did not share my enthusiasm.
 Lucky for the others the way became a tame path.
                          Pretty Surprise
Time for breakfast. We had been planning on eating breakfast at the restaurant but once we got up at 6am we did not feel like waiting around until 7:30 when the bar opened. We did not have much food.


Looking south along the Rio Esla 

 Today was a favourite of mine, a bit of hiking (as opposed to walking), beautiful scenery, friendly locals and a perfect temperature with a soft breeze.
 Lunch stop. I am enjoying a delicious tomato.
Gabi and Heidi from Germany stopped to chat on their way past.
The dog coming to tell me to get out of the way. I was right in their path.
Entering our destination of Tabara
26 kilometers later ** Tabara
A very nice town.
Gabi getting a needed neck massage from Nederlander Wim at the bar. 75 year old Wim and his daughter Linda are walking their 5th camino together.


The countries represented around our table are Sweden, England, Germany, Nederland, France and Canada. I suggest anyone wanting to run for political office should first walk a camino.

We are concerned about getting a bed tomorrow as there are only 12 and no reservations. We are some of the slowest walkers. Hopefully some of the fellows will want to walk further along. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment