Sunday, May 19, 2019

I Just Walked 1000 Kilometers!

How can I get this far and not know?! One thin blanket on the bed and again I don't get out my sleeping bag. Not a great sleep as a result, all due to not thinking it through. Thankfully there is a heater in the room. It is 6:30 am and the temperature outside is 4 degrees. Brrr, lots of layers to start this finale walk into Santiago today.
There is no open restaurant for quite a few kilometres this morning so yesterday we have purchased yogurt, banana and muffins at the local Dia grocery store for breakfast in the room before setting out.
Waiting for Danielle to wake up. Sshhh.

Breakfast on Bed
Leaving the nice albergue in Ponte Ulla.
Luckily the first bit was uphill which warmed us up enough that I quickly shed the down jacket.

Early morning sun slanting through a light fog.

Within minutes we were above the fog.

Stunning colour.
We passed some nice properties as we approached Santiago, we enjoyed the day taking many photographs.

A shepherd with his flock.

We spent quite a while enjoying this dog and pony playing together.

Getting closer.
Dealing with sadness and excitement.

Still taking pleasure in the gardens.

One of my favourite photos.

Grapevines everywhere today, even shading the road and also back yards.

Only 5 kilometers to go but we needed a break.

These tributes are in commemoration of a terrible train accident about 10 years ago. The tracks are just below.

We can see the Santiago Cathedral in the distance. I love how there is grass growing between the cobblestones. There were signs of it having been recently mown.

We are in the city now.
Soon after this point we lost the way! No more arrows. We had to guess where to go, unfortunately we could not see the cathedral spires for a clue of where to go.

I was feeling very matter of fact about arriving at the cathedral but ya ... guess who cried.
47 days of being away from my wonderfully supportive family, 47 days of happily bouncing out of bed eager to meet the challenges of the day. Every day ... One foot in front of the other. Before you know it you are in Santiago de Compostela. Wow, that's how you walk 1000kms!

It is very touching to watch the many pilgrims enter the square. In some you see relief, joy in others and pain in a few. I saw some limping in, they obviously had a difficult time of it yet they persevered and finished their camino.

Judging by the photo I am pretty happy and proud of my accomplishment.
I felt so supported all the way along by my camino family and by my friends and family at home. Keith, my Mom and my brothers, as well as several friends have consistently encouraged me. Thank you all!

We ran into Clay from Louisiana that had switched to the camino Norte a couple of weeks ago.

Hunger eventually took us to a restaurant and then we booked into our accommodation. Danielle and I have individual rooms at Seminario Mayor just behind the cathedral. Our rooms used to be monk's cells.
It has everything a pilgrim needs including her very own bathroom!
Oh and a real towel too!
To celebrate dear husband phoned me, what a wonderful treat.
I went back out on the town and ran into Martina and Chang Ho. The fellow on the left was walking to give thanks for his sons recovery after a bad accident. Chang Ho said he has had the dream of walking the Via de la Plata for ten years. Martina also has very personal reasons for walking but she feels she is going to continue on another camino right away.

After a bit I wandered off, got some warmer clothes on then I explored this beautiful city. I stopped for a quinoa bowl (!) in a restaurant, an Australian woman joined me and we had a very nice dinner together.


Later I wandered some more, octopus is very popular in Galicia.

It is late, too late to download the jumble of thoughts in my head. Another day.
Perhaps manana.




1 comment:

  1. Deb, you have shown us how to walk a camino, with joy in your heart at each new day. Well done, a wonderful accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete