Saturday, May 4, 2019

Letting It All Hang Out

I am in the small village of Santa Marta de Tera. There is no wifi and my data is seemingly too weak to download photos.
So mainly words today.

Random thoughts

Two days ago I was walking on my own in the afternoon. The scenery was gorgeous and I had lots of energy but I decided to play some tunes. So I am listening to Barenaked Ladies singing the awesome tune Million Dollars, loving their wit and the song, dancing down the road and singing away. Such a fun time, loving where I was and how strong I am feeling. Pure joy. And ... If I had a million dollars? I hope that I would be right where I am, in Spain, walking my camino! How fortunate am I?!

You know all those photos in the early days of my camino of the bushes full of white flowers?
 Well they are here as well, although not yet in bloom.

Wild thyme grows everywhere here. I put some in the pocket where I keep my handkerchief. Voila, my handkerchief smells wonderful.
Sometimes ... It is the small things.

When Mom and Dad took us to Europe in 1970 I had loved the cuckoo clocks in Switzerland and I purchased one. Well here in Spain we hear the real things ... er I mean the real birds. I was walking with Martina of Germany and told her about that memory. She says the "cuckoo" birds are now extinct in Germany. That was upsetting news.

Oh and NEWS ... I find my only enjoyable way of keeping up with Canadian and world news is by listening to podcasts of Because News..... So not depressing with Gavin Crawford's (& team) take on the world.

So today. It was about 7 degrees when we started out this morning so we donned all of our layers. It soon warmed up and was another perfect day.... not too hot with a bit of a breeze. Danielle was having a rough time and was going at a slow pace, we were worried about getting one of the 12 available beds here at our destination so I powered forward. At one point there was a choice of route, one direction had a coffee shop which is the way most pilgrims go. I am perfectly happy, no I prefer, sitting on the grass, drinking my water and enjoying the food in my pack so I chose option two. It was probably a combination of the route and not stopping for coffee but I arrived 3rd at the albergue. Two Spanish men arrived after me and demanded where did I come from. I have a feeling they did not believe me when I answered that I just walked quickly. Anyways 
.. Yay
We did get beds and Danielle actually did super, she began feeling better as the day went on
But the Albergue was full by 1:30.

Back to the events of today


This photo took over 1 hour to load. I just don't have that kind of time.
Anyways, this morning; hungry pilgrims waiting at the bar for their tostadas y cafe con leche.
 Hurray, the bar has wifi .... quel surprise!
Clay from Louisiana & Wim both have chosen to wear their jackets on backwards. Their (our) packs keep the back warm and it is easier to take the jacket off without taking off the backpack. I think I will stick to the traditional manner of jacket wearing.
Linda, Wim's daughter caught up with us. They are walking a longer stage today so we may not see them again. Buen Camino.
(bonus tho ... that makes 5 less people that are fighting for those 12 beds.)
 Letting it all hang out. When your laundry is not quite dry in the morning, just pin it to your pack and it will dry as you walk. Magic
 Yikes those are the mountains that we will be tackling in a few days time.
The Village of Bercianos de Valverde
This is such a typical view as one enters a village, quiet, no one around, it looks so closed off. If by chance you get a glimpse inside one of the homes, they are often full of light and flowers. The homes extend quite far back and most often have a lovely, private courtyard, hence the light.

This town had no shops but I just happened to catch the bread van. The locals come running, the bread lady had a small broom which she used to sweep off excess flour.

 Once Danielle arrived at the albergue the first order of business was to head to the bar for our midday meal. There we found Annie from Luxembourg ( in the hat, I have seen her off and on since April 22), Martina from Germany and Patrick from France. We had a fun lunch and spoke mainly French.
 The church here has a wonderful history, more on that in a bit.
 At the modern albergue, Martina enjoys a massage from Patrick (shoulders get sore carrying our heavy backpacks)  while fellow German Heidi looks on. Note all the laundry in the background. When one only has 2 or 3 shirts it is necessary to wash clothes often. When there is sunshine and a clothesline we are all washing.
 The interior of the Romanesque church, the construction of which started around 1075 and was completed perhaps 150 years later.
 This is the oldest known European image of the original pilgrim Santiago.
Danielle has just given me a quick history lesson. Santiago aka St Jacques aka St James wandered Europe preaching Christianity. He was 1 of 12 apostles of Jesus Christ. Rome eventually brought him back to Rome and punished him by beheading. The revered head of Santiago was brought back to Santiago de Compostela (my destination) where pilgrims can line up to pay their respects.
The outside of the church, the 2 gatekeepers appear to be of a similar vintage as Santiago.

I am enjoying this attractive village with its religious history. The towns and the farms in this region seem to be faring better than the ones further south.

Whew that's a wrap.


2 comments:

  1. Love hearing your "random thoughts."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thx
      It is a 5degree 7am, just waiting for Danielle and we are off to see what today brings. xo

      Delete