Thursday, May 23, 2019

Bar Bar Bar

Day 3 Santiago to Muxia
Misty rain but not cold, grpp day ... no gloves required.
Put brain in automatic, one foot in front of the other and before I expected I had walked up up up and down and up again for 8 kms and the weather was improving.
The scenery was still photo worthy.

I like the movement in this photo. Perhaps to me it symbolizes all the pilgrims that I have met, all on their individual caminos but all heading in the same direction.

A village nestled in the valley below.

The first 12.5 kms was mostly on asphalt.

At Corzon Danielle and I had the nicest waiter/ bar owner ... not sure which.
I ordered a tea verde, he also brought me a small piece of cake, then a small fresh squeezed orange juice then a cookie. Danielle only got a bit of tortilla. I have no idea what I had done right. I then asked to take his photo and when we left we both got a hug and kisses on the cheeks. Sweet man.


At 13 kms we were in the nice village of Olveiroa and the way improved with this path along a stream.

More up up up 
Up to the wind turbines.

And down again.

I took several photos of these bugs congregating on these very common flowers.
Las Vegas for red & black bugs???
What happens on the white flower, stays on the white flower.

Lunch in Logoso
We would not normally take off our footwear in polite society.
On the camino it happens frequently.

Danielle ordered spaghetti while Martina and I enjoyed sopa (soup: pasta and vegies).

The bar owner was having a difficult day. Martina, with her kind heart, makes everyone feel better.

At 18 kms the camino splits.
Right to Muxia.
Left to Finesterre aka The End of the World.
Most of the younger pilgrims go to Finesterre but since I heard that Muxia is more scenic and it fit my schedule better that is where I am headed.
Danielle and Martina are also headed for Muxia but they also have time to then walk to Finesterre.

Our destination is Dumbrìa. A brand new roomy Xunta (government run) albergue for only 6€. There is no Wifi so I am at a bar in town. Big Bang Theory is on the TV, an old episode. The overdubbed voices are so bad!

Another great day.
We are taking it slowly and stretching out our days.
A quick post, I am heading back to the albergue to see if my camigas have finished their naps. It is getting to be time for dinner.

Dinner at the bar was interesting. Earlier, when I drank my tea and wrote the blog entry, I noticed a playpen. Eventually abuelo (aka grampa), appeared with 1 year old Mia. She had free run of the bar, interacting with all the patrons and family that were working there. Oh and also, just before I left, there was a delivery of a brand new foosball table.
So we come back later for dinner. Another family appears, mom, dad and a daughter around 6 and a son about 4, they seem to be family as well .... probably an aunt, uncle and cousins. The kids play with Mia and generally take good care of her. They start running around and making lots of noise so then they get pop. Meanwhile there are many young and old men coming to try out the foosball table. It was SO LOUD in there that the 4 of us had difficulty conversing. Oh well, that is Spain, it was noisy but at the same time there is such a relaxed way of living here.
The new foosbal
Too bad you cannot hear just how loud it is


So our 4th at dinner is Laurie from Colorado. She has been walking the Camino Frances since about the 8th of April. On day 4 she suddenly could hardly walk, an achilles heel situation. She has been hobbling ever since, does short stages and takes her time. Such  incredible perseverance. I would have given up long ago. So her camino has been painful and short on friendships as most pilgrims walk further than her. Her story is a common one. Many pilgrims seem to be unemployed either by choice or circumstance and at a crossroads in their lives. Martina is also in a similar situation but she is determined to continue walking and wait for an opportunity to come her way.
There are also many pilgrims that are healing from traumatic situations and using the camino to work through various issues.
Everyone is on their own camino, on their own path and there does appear to be a sort of magic about. One seems to meet the right person or overhears the right information just when they need it. Coincidence ... No, the magic happens far too often for it to be coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment