Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A Girl's Gotta Do

Spain day 3. Well I have finally done my first ever camino day and it was great. It turns out that there are many fellow pilgrims, from all over the world. Today was 23 kms, getting out of Seville was long but there were yellow camino arrows everywhere which prevented me from getting lost. The way passed through broccoli, potato and grain fields. I stopped at the 1st little town of Santiponce to have breakfast. At the northern edge of town is a large Roman site called Italica. I spent about 1 hour there amonst many school groups. There are many intact mosaic floors as well as statues. An exciting detour for a North American, most Europeans do not find Roman ruins so exciting as they are all over Europe. A few people stopped to ask me about my camino which I enjoyed.
I walked for a while with a couple from Belgium and met a Dutch couple at the breakfast cafe.
I loved seeing and hearing the many birds along the way. Lots of wildflowers as well including poppies and lots of thistles.
The last 12 kms were along a dirt road with no shade. It was only about 24 degrees but it did seem hotter. Thankfully a breeze started up towards the end.
I needed a pick me up along that stretch so listened to music. I was singing along to Jill Barber's "A Girl's Gotta Do, gotta do, gotta do, what a girls gotta do" and broke out laughing. Now there is my answer when folks ask me why I am walking a camino.
On arrival at the albergue the hostess lept up and gave me a lovely big hug. What a wonderful welcome.
We are 6 women in our room, 2 Korean, 2 Dutch and an Austrian. Lights are out at 9pm per this group so here I am in bed, not tired, typing this.
Guillena is a nice size town, well kept with several choices for dinner. K from Austria and I joined another couple from Vancouver for a late dinner. Cheap but very salty salad, chicken and fries and a sweet juicy orange which was the best part.
I learned a valuable camino lesson this evening. Do not use crinkly plastic to wrap one's clothes. Mine are in 1 of those vacuum bags .... I did not even realize it was crinkly til I started repacking it in a quiet room. Oops, it is just not done!

The Roman ruins of Italica date from the rule of Hadrian 117 to 138 BC. These are 
the suberbs, the main town is buried under the modern town of Santiponce.



 The scarf does double duty, sun protection and cushion against pack straps.
,
The long and not winding road.
A sad sight. A dead orchard. Thistles are doing fine.
A wee glitch, do not know how to delete these duplicates. Sweet wee blooms in a bit of shade.

A rest point, complete with a magazine. I thought I was to walk through trees but sadly no.
Short day tomorrow, only 18 kms.
Seville in the morning light. These pics s/b 1st not last. Sigh
Looking back at Seville in the foggy distance

No comments:

Post a Comment