Friday, April 5, 2019

If this is Hell, I'm IN

The 18 bed co-ed room got going early. Bathroom time was at a premium as was a place at the table to eat our "purchased from the grocery store the evening before " breakfasts. It was pouring rain at 7am but it stopped by the time I left, 1 of the last, at 8am. Sheesh the sun doesn't even rise until 8 something. This albergue is a donativo meaning one gives what one is able. Since most are about 10€ that is what I gave... about $16.
Today's walk is billed in the guidebook as being the day from hell. If it was blazing hot I understand but today was cool, even cold at times so it was a pleasure.  A few folks at home wondered at the raingear that I packed; rain pants, gortex jacket and a ($100!) poncho. I wore the whole darn ensemble today during a bit of a squall which lasted only for about an hour. Then the wind came up which was perfect for drying off the rain gear before it went back in my pack.
See still smiling!!
The first 16 kms were on a quiet highway. It was lovely walking with fields of cork trees all along and of course, as always,  many varied wildflowers
 Gorgeous!

After 4 hours walk on the road the camino entered a National Park, we were still surrounded by cork trees and wildflowers but the road was much more pleasant.
                            Lunch Time
The sky cleared but it was still cool, For a bit I even wore my gloves.
                     Lavender everywhere.
Stepping stones to cross a flooded area.
Does anyone know what these beauties are?
A random ruin, in the National Park
After a steep Mt Doug size climb at the end of the day, gazing back on our route.
4pm approaching Almedan de la Plata
Note the stork nest on top.
This church has 2 nests, complete with tenants.

I am experiencing such a high when I walk here. The terrain is so beautiful, far better than I expected.
The evenings are a bit more difficult for me. The albergues are full to bursting but most pilgrims are traveling in pairs. I expected more singles. I am speaking Spanish, Dutch, German and French. Unfortunately there are few French speakers as that is by far my best language. I have only met 2 other couples that are English speaking and we do not seem to stay in the same albergues. That also surprises me ..that there are so few English speakers on this camino. But folks are very nice, this evening I was invited to have dinner with some of the Dutch contingent. One of them went to a local (very small) grocery store (when it opened finally after 6pm) purchased lots of vegies, pasta and parmesan. Delicious. This is common on the camino, 1 person may feel inspired to cook and invites some fellow pilgrims et voila, a feast. Oh and by the way, she got caught in a massive hail storm on the way back. The weather is unusual, C in England also reported hail storms up her way and snow in Wales. At least I am not getting a sunburn, nor will I be, rain is expected for the next several days.








1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures Deb! Glad to see your rain where is working as expected. We never did get the rain we were supposed to have here surprise surprise

    ReplyDelete