Thursday, April 11, 2019

On the Straight and Narrow

After a quick breakfast in our hostal kitchen we set off by 8am. A stop at an adjacent shop for Karin to get her coffee fix and we began the 27km to Torremejia. This portion is quite monotonous, 12 kms (it seemed much much longer!) being arrow straight along a Roman Road. Alongside is similar to the past 2 days, young grape plants and olive trees. The many pretty wildflowers were a welcome distraction.

The thistles have followed us since day 1.

Can you hear the buzzing of the bees?




Apparently the young grape vines require less water. I noticed no irrigation, older vines are torn out and burned and replaced with young plants.
No more slugs, instead there are hundreds of ladybugs.
The only action on the camino today was the workers trimming olive trees. They trim each tree so its canopy opens in the centre to take full advantage of the sun.

Karin left me at about noon as I wanted to sit for a while, she preferred to keep going and hoped to find a cup of coffee at our destination. I arrived around 3pm having slowed my pace and soaking in my surroundings.
This is a very quiet town, after a shower Karin and I did find an open bar where she got her coffee and I a green tea.
We elected to have the 7pm dinner and breakfast option that the albergue offers so full price for the night is 22€.
Dinner was lentil soup, salad and chicken with an orange for dessert. Passably okay.
 This little guy landed right in front of me. He has some wing issues but appeared to be able to fly just fine. Of course I have no idea if it was flying in the desired direction.
 I am not sure whether to say hurrah mountains ahead or oh no mountains ahead. Today as well as being straight was also very flat.
Always a welcome sight when one nears the night's bed.
 An old monastery, see below for closeup of imbedded statues.

No comments:

Post a Comment