Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A Departure, a Sad Anniversary and a 65th Birthday

I wake up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night of my 65th birthday. My legs are twitchy, I lay in bed thinking "I want to walk!". Why? 
And am I walking towards something or away from something. 
Or is it as simple as "I just love to walk."?
 This deserves some contemplation...
For now I get up and walk to the bathroom. That will have to do.

Manana
                          Morning Selfie
Tomorrow we are leaving Lonny. She will stay 1 more night here in Zamora then will make her way back to home and to husband in Nederland.
Today is also the 7th anniversary of the passing of Danielle's husband. She does not dwell on the sadness as she is a very strong woman with (as I have mentioned before) a joie de vivre. She says that is the French Canadian way.
Also of course, I turn 65 today. I am now a Senior Citizen. Does that make you feel old Mom?
                        Rest Time Anyone?
  
We believe that we have finally found the exact marker that is on the cover of our Gerald Kelly Guidebook. We are approaching Zamora; about 5 kms to go.
 Boot adjustment. Lonny is suffering from foot pain. Her departure was brought forward by 2 weeks due to her injury.
The vegetation changes slightly.

You can just barely see Zamora on the horizon. About 4 kms to go at this point.
 There are many markers along the way. These 3 have a poem inscribed on them. The poem is about hope and peace, a life journey and walking the camino. Although I didn't understand half of it, it seemed poignant.
 Entering Zamora. We stopped for an ice cream bar here. Temperature was around 25 I think. I do not know how pilgrims manage when it gets really hot.
Backpacks lined up in order of arrival.
 The Municipal Albergue in Zamora opens at 2pm. They were open on time and were extremely well organised, getting us all registered and assigned beds quickly. We 3 are in a nice 4 bedroom dormitory with a young Italian woman.
 A quick shower, a quick hand laundry, into skirts and off to the Plaza Mayor for a birthday meal. Our timing was perfect, sat down at 15:40 for a pilgrim meal ... cutoff is 16:00. Delicious Russian Salad and this fillet of sole. Lonny insisted on treating both of us which was overly generous. Hopefully we can treat her to breakfast in the morning.
There were many pilgrims in the square, every once in a while someone would wish me a happy birthday.    ....and it was!

Mi amigas got the waiter to bring a "birthday cake" which we shared. (as well as another dessert each which is part of the pilgrim menu)
 Off to explore the town. This is an interesting mural.
 There is a castle overlooking the river ... and with a moat.


The Cathedral next door to the castle.
If you have added Salamanca to your bucket list you might as well also come to see Zamora. A very charming town with good atmosphere and great food.
 This view is from the castle. I love the storks. As I am writing this I can hear the storks that are nesting near the albergue. Mom and Keith, they make that clicking sound with their beaks similar to the nesting albatross on Kauai. Everytime one mate returns to the nest they go through this lovely ritual.

This is the beautiful Roman Bridge that we crossed as we entered Zamora on the camino.

                 Stinky Boots All In A Row

It is a perfect warm evening and our bedroom window is open. It opens on to the street, the very steep curvy street (much steeper than Decaire!). Cars need to really gun it to get up and their tires squeal on the paving stones. Earplugs tonight for sure.

So what a fabulous day and what a great celebration of turning 65.
Thank you all that emailed me today. I love you all and I love how many of you have told me that you start your day reading my blog. I am starting to feel some pressure here! The last week has been a combination of bad or no wifi and busyness so the entries have not been as thoughtful. Today we packed it in early though so I had lots of time.
Mom thank you for bringing me into this wonderful life and for nurturing me through it.
Keith and Chip, thank you for supporting my adventure.
Here's to another great year.
Life Is Good!!!




2 comments:

  1. The storks are great!
    Thanks for sharing your birthday experience with us readers, Deb.

    ReplyDelete