Sunday, April 28, 2019

An Important Lesson

Saturday night on the main square of a Spanish city is not quiet. There were celebrations and good ole partying happening all night. Ironically I slept fairly well.
We ate our muesli, yogurt, banana and a bakery treat in our room and got on our way at about 8:15am.


Our room was very nice, bright and clean with a sink and shared bathroom down the hall. Location location location it cost us 25€ each. We felt very fortunate to have gotten a room on this busy weekend.
 It took only about 30 minutes to get to Salamanca's outskirts. Then a km or 2 of walking alongside the road.
 Most of the kms were on country roads like this.
Today is election day in Spain but it feels like any other quiet Sunday. Seven kms brought us to the village of Aldeaseca de la Almuna where we found the local bar open for business.
 Another 5 kms later we walked through charming Castellanos de Villiquera.
At the 16 kms point we had another coffee break; as they offered no food we ate from our own supplies. I had been carrying an avocado for 1 entire week -- it was perfect!
The Albergue here looked very appealing, a pilgrim acquaintance advised us that there were no bunk beds .... so no racing for the bottom bunk.
But moot point for us as we were not yet stopping.
 Rest stop so why not take some photos.

 A total of 23 kms and we arrived at
Well...
Paradise
Carmen and Alberto run Albergue Casa Saso near Huelmos (haven't seen the town yet, I expect it is tiny). Carmen met us at the gate with joy and affection telling us that we were strong mujeras and that we were welcome. She placed us in a small trailer apart from the main building. We have 3 beds in 2 rooms. Danielle kindly insisted on giving me the "matrimonial" bed in a room by myself as an early birthday gift. (Did I mention that I am 64 and 363/365?)

 Alberto signing us in and stamping our credentials. We pay a bit more to have the trailer on our own. My bed is 20€ (the other 2 in the twin room pay 15 each), 10€ for this evening's dinner made by Carmen using eggs from her chickens and tomatoes from her garden, and 4€ for breakfast.



Carmen serving us our dinner.
First course; pasta with a tuna tomato sauce
Second; fried eggs, fries, fried pork
Dessert; apple and yogurt
Very typical pilgrim menu
Delicious but not one vegetable
Often I will have a salad for 1 meal to balance it all out.
I have not seen any broccoli on a plate in Spain. (nc - that is just the way it is)



So what is the camino lesson learned?
On my camino I have had two meltdowns.



The first was not too serious but the second, well there was melted chocolate everywhere.

Lonny advised me to carry my chocolate next to the water bladder.

                     Works like a charm!!!



This night's accommodation.

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate next to the water - brilliant!
    You're doing this camino as you turn the Big Six-Five!!
    You sure look happy, Deb. Well done, grrl. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Laura.
    I wonder how I got to 65 without knowing the choc/water trick?!

    ReplyDelete