Wednesday, April 17, 2019

No White Bread Today ... Well, Except for Breakfast

Another good nights' rest. I did end up having roommates, a family of 3 from Belgium. They came in just as I had fallen asleep but it was no problem. I had fallen asleep again before they had turned out the light. This albergue caters to non pilgrims as well. Being Easter week it is very busy and is recommended to have reservations. I do except for Saturday. I am awaiting confirmation on that stop.
 Leaving Caceres I met this tribute to The Laundresses of Caceres.
Today is cloudy and cool, again so fortunate that I have not yet had to walk in hot conditions.
The first 3 kms of today were alongside a busy highway. Drivers were as considerate as possible, moving over towards the centre. I was very happy to arrive at the start of the path that paralleled the highway for the rest of the way.
Along the way the muy simpatico hospitalero from the monastery a few nights ago passed me. He was planning on taking a day off but felt the need to walk. He has now walked back to Caceres. I can relate, that is why we are here after all, to walk ... and walk ... and walk some more.
 I had two delightful Wool-y detours today.
 Aww you know that I had to post this lil 1!
A short 11 kms brought me to the entrance to Casar de Caceres. This is a tribute to Gay Rights.
The lovely approach to Casar de Caceres. How fortunate that my arrival coincided with the full bloom of the wisteria.
The Iglesia in Casar de Caceres.

The hostel here is only 5€. One pays across the street at the TI. The bunk beds are crammed together, again no ladders. Fortunately I arrived early enough to score a bottom bunk. It looks like we will have a full house tonight.
I purchased enough groceries for the next several meals. At 2pm everything is closed for Easter, not only are Friday and Sunday holidays but so is Thursday. I was just in time. This evening the rain is coming down, a good thing I am eating in. Most albergues have a basic kitchen.
The streets will be closed off at 10pm this evening and tomorrow evening for processions. I believe it will go right past our albergue windows. Rain has arrived and is expected to continue. Oh and I have noticed a nice little hole in my right boot. I doubt very much these boots will be returning home with me.
The locals here have been so kind and friendly, another nice little town!
I can feel myself slowing down and accepting what my camino has in store for me. I know many of the pilgrims at each stop and am certainly no longer lonely.
On arrival the 1st person I met is from Ottawa, he is traveling with 2 female friends. A few months back I had posted on the Canadian Camino forum that I was leaving Seville April 3rd, on my own and was wondering if anyone else had similar plans. One of the 3 from Ottawa had responded that they were starting a day ahead of me and that I would likely meet them ... and so we have.
I received bad news from Karin, she has hurt her knee and today is flying home from Madrid. She will be very disappointed but her husband will be happy to have her back home.

Everyone here is heartbroken about the Notre Dam Cathedral fire. Having been inside many churches lately I can imagine the priceless artifacts that may have been damaged or destroyed.

Today, since I had such a short walk, I have lots of time to post and catch up on emails. I did go exploring around the town but that did not take long. Everything is locked up tight and there are few people in the streets. I am happy to have this to occupy me. I am looking forward to longer days of walking next week.
I have heard from some friends that you sympathize with the camino diet that I have been describing. To be clear, I mention it as useful info for the readers that are planning their own caminos. I am not complaining and do not want to come across as whining. It too belongs to the camino. (But do note, not 1 piece of white bread amongst the groceries purchased today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment