Friday, April 19, 2019

A Rude Awakening

The plan was to have a leisurely breakfast before sauntering out of the Albergue at around 9am. Oh well, I often quote the phrase "Life is what happens as you make plans for the future" (John Lennon)
The fire alarm erupted at 6:30am. The 6 of us were very slow to react but I eventually ventured out to the smell of burnt toast. No staff were around which is not unusual but the alarm did not stop. We hurriedly packed up, quick bathroom stop, quick provided breakfast and out the door just as it was getting light.
Later I talked to 2 pilgrims who were camping nearby, they mentioned that the alarm was still sounding 3 hours later when they left.
Today I walked with Lonny of The Nederlands. We both enjoyed the winding path and since we had climbed a bit the views were wonderful. Below is the Embalse.
 Midway we were in the mist and eventually had to don ponchos as it lightly rained.

 Interesting information on the ancient Roman Road that the Via de la Plata follows.
 The sun came out. Here is our destination, in the distance, nestled against the hill.

We arrived in Canaveral at 10:30am. There appears to be a family running the very impressive and clean albergue. Every bed has a lamp and a plug for cell charging. There are duvets on the beds so no getting twisted up in the sleeping bag tonight.
 Some of the family here, communing with the chickens. There is a nice sunny terrace in the back yard of the albergue where Lonny and I ate our lunch.


We went into the small town
to buy supplies (potato chips; I was surprised that stores were open on Good Friday!) and to check out the church where the Good Friday noon service was about to begin.


Storks
 I love laundry shots. Perhaps cuz I don't have to do any. The staff at the albergue are doing mine for just 5€.
We ran into the 3 Canadians from Ottawa and had some tea at the bar with them. They were able to get reservations at the next albergue.

In the afternoon I took a long walk around the town, at 4pm folks were coming out of their homes, gathering in the streets and at the many bars.
 I walked up the hill behind the village. On the far right is the Embalse where we stayed last night. The gently rolling hills between the lake and the village was today's camino.

 The church at the end of the street.

So many great doors! I wonder how old this one is?!

We have heard from the pilgrim grapevine that 23 year old American Leo had all his money and passport stolen at his albergue. He had taken off his money belt at night, he has had to go to Madrid to the US consulate to replace his passport and perhaps have more money sent. I had met him in Caceres, such a sweet young man but naive. His backpack was quite large and heavy, his mother had packed it for him. I hope this experience does not turn him off of travelling.
A good reminder for all of us to be very vigilant with our valuables.

Frederick from Denmark, Lonny and I enjoyed a very good dinner out (after waiting until 8pm when the restaurants start serving dinner). We all ordered the local soup and Lonny and I shared an ensalda mixta. As we left the waiter wished us a buen camino. How did he know I wondered aloud. We then looked at one another and burst out laughing. How could the waiter not know. We are wearing gortex, me capris with sandals and my Canada socks. Yes sad to say, sandals and socks. With only 2 choices, heavy hiking boots or sandals, the sandals win hands down. And it is bloody freezing here so had to wear socks. Tomorrow is predicted to be sunny and 25. I promise not to complain about the heat.
Another wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting range of accommodations, some good, some not so much. You take it all in stride (literally). Fun to meet another quilter and some Canucks.
    Keep on truckin'. I mean trekkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yes what else can one do. It seems to be a badge of camino honour = to not complain. I am good with that.

    ReplyDelete