Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Beautiful Caceres


Last evening's German dinner.

It was stormy when we went to dinner but a beautiful evening after. We all walked around the small village of Valdesalor. That took about 5 minutes.
Day 14 of my Via de la Plata. I cannot pass these guys by without taking a photo.
This morning's walk from Valdesalor was only 11 kms. The temperature was perfect, around 12 degrees in the early morning and perhaps got to 20 this afternoon in Caceres. The way was an easy but steady climb. I am surprised how flat the way has been so far. Everyone tells me that the hills are coming.

Arnold, Karin and Faemia as we approached the city of Caceres.
 Plaza Mayor. The Albergue las Veletas is only steps from here and it is very nice. I am in a room for 6, so far, at 7pm, by myself. The cost is 16€. Soon I am heading back into the old city in search of dinner and the city ambience.

 I am on my own again as Karin and Faemia have walked on to the next town. It was wonderful making camino friends and I hope we may meet again 1 day.
I am also looking forward to lingering more along the way each coming  day, something that is more difficult to do in a group.

 I took an excellent tour of Cathedral de Santa Maria. This is from the bell tower.

 Looking down on Iglesia de San Francisco Javier. Caceres is a beautiful walled city, the Muslims built the walls in the 12th century.
My pilgrim passport is filling up with many sellos. It is stamped at every albergue and today I also asked for a stamp at the Cathedral.
The perfect end to the perfect day. I was ennoying my paella in the main square when my German friend Arnold showed up. He joined me for something to eat and then took me to see a procession. This is Santa Semana, the week before Easter, is busy with religious processions. I found the ritual of it quite moving even though my religion is nature.
On returning to the main square we ran into Gabriel who had been the volunteer hospitalero at Alcuescar. He was with a young pilgrim of 23 from New Jersey. We had a wonderful conversation about life, caminos and volunteering. what a marvelous undertaking for this young man. And I have to say I enjoyed speaking English to a fellow NAmerican.


No comments:

Post a Comment