Sunday, April 21, 2019

Day for Dad


Today is both Easter Sunday and my father's birthday. When planning my trip months ago I decided to take today off, I booked a hotel with a restaurant and a private bathroom with a bathtub.

A view of the walled city of Galisteo from our albergue. 
Breakfast in a box was 2 cakes, 2 packages of cookies, a juice box, coffee or hot chocolate. (nc)



I walked with Lonny for a few minutes as she started her short 11 km walk. We will meet tomorrow evening in Hostel Asturia.
A delight to catch this ancient bridge in the morning light.
Looking back to Galisteo. There has been a settlement here since Roman times.
Inside the walled city. The locked tight church (on Easter Sunday?) and adjacent stairs up to the top of the wall. The wall was built in the 13th century using rounded stones from the nearby river. They were lovely to hold onto while climbing the stairs. How many hands have done that over the years?

                  From the wall walkway.
Looking in the direction that we walked from yesterday.

My private room!
A typical family scene at the bar: babies and children playing nicely together, busy and noisy conversation.
This is where I ate lunch yesterday and today. I like the Spanish atmosphere. The customers and staff were kind and encouraging as I stumbled with my Spanish.

 I walked to the next town Alagon del Rio. The centre of town was crazy busy with families enjoying the day. Several kids were jumping on the metal table, having a wonderful noisy time.
The main purpose of my walk was to see if I would have better luck with the bank here. Nope, my interac card will not work at the smaller obscure banks that one finds in these small towns. I eventually withdrew using a credit card and will be able to use my bank card once I reach Salamanca.
Oh and didya know that interac cards expire? I didn't and guess when it expires, yup end of this month. Crap timing. Lesson learned, pay attention to the expiry date on my bank card.
 These 2 hilarious and yappy Chihuahuas (one was camera shy) ushered me back out of the town. Bars are not going to keep them inside.
Storks really should be the Spanish national bird but no, I checked, it is the eagle and we have seen many of those too. BUT every possible tower like structure has a large stork nest perched on top. Other birds have their nests within the stork nests. Pretty cool, they parent as a team and if the nest is not too high one can see the wee storklings reaching to mom or dad for food.

This is a couple from Germany that I have met several times. They are heavy smokers but that doesn't seem to stop them from walking their camino.

This little beauty is very special to me. The evening before I left Victoria, Pauline, a very kind and thoughtful neighbour, knocked on my door with this talisman for me to carry on my journey. Now Pauline, I have forgotten what she is the goddess of but I am dubbing her the goddess of Adventure. As I hold her I think about all the wonderful neighbours we have at Laurel Point and how grateful I am to have them in my life.

This evening I had a simple dinner in my room (I had a huge lunch) while listening the CBC radio Victoria Sunday Morning. I know that Mom is listening to the same thing at the same time and that we are both thinking of Dad. ❤

So I am well rested today and wanting to get going!  Tomorrow I begin some very long legs (no pun intended). My toe is still sore but I don't expect it to be an issue. 

Happy Easter Y'all!!!!
ps no easter eggs here.






1 comment:

  1. Lovely to read about your day, your dad and the "wee storklings." :-D

    ReplyDelete