Thursday, April 18, 2019

Fellow Quilting Pilgrim

 Last night's albergue in Casar de Caceres was only 5€ for a reason. The beds were packed together very tightly with no room for backpacks ir to move. It was raining so most of us stayed in during the evening. Many were bored so went to sleep very early. There were 2 rooms with several showers but only 2 toilets. One toilet was inaccessible due to an unwell pilgrim blocking it with her pack and a heater. There were beds within 24 inches of the toilets, those poor pilgrims had to put up with all of the toilet traffic during the night. I was thankful that I had been able to get a lower bunk in the other room.
Today's camino:
Above is an example of the first couple of kms, through farmland on hard packed gravel roads, lavender, broom and thistles lining the road. For most of the 22 kms the way went along a ridge with amazing views on both sides. It was cool and cloudy.
 More country roads, the sun came out for a few minutes.
 Then still along the ridge but through more of a park like area , though still with farms dotted here and there. You can see 1 of the gates we passed through today.
 This may be Queen Anne's Lace, the black and red beetles seem to be guarding a small bit of poop or eggs or???? In the middle of each blossom. Perhaps my biology major friends can enlighten us? We enjoyed about 1 km of good trail then the last 5kms were walking along the shoulder of a busy highway.
The rain came down for the last 1.5 hours. I was happy to finally arrive at the Municipal Albergue at Embalse de Alcantara. Embalse means reservoir.
This albergue is 15 € including breakfast. I have no problem being on the top bunk here! Besides that is where the electrical plugs are for charging phones. The showers are good and 6 toilets for 26 beds.
We are in the middle of no where so no where to explore.
Thankfully I had reserved a bed, many were turned away and had to walk another 10 kms in the rain.
On arrival a shower, some foot care and then I put together a tuna salad for a late lunch, I am trying to lighten my load for tomorrow!
My feet remained dry even with the hole in my boot.
Now at 4:30 we are hearing many rumbles of thunder.

 A sweet young pup belonging to the Albergue assistant.
 A common sight at the albergues.

The source of the constant thunder. The storm seems to be slowly moving towards us. There are some pilgrims camping on the albergue grounds. I do not envy them.

This evening I enjoyed my Pilgrim Dinner with 3 folks from Ottawa. Two of them are returning home on Monday and the 3rd, Danielle, is looking for a camino friend. And .... Wait for it ... She is a quilter! Meant to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment