Sunday, April 7, 2019

Twenty kilometers to Monestario


Today's walk started with this wee stream that separates the provinces of Seville and Extramadura. Note the castle in the background. I just missed getting a photo of a stork landing in its nest. Another cool day which is perfect for walking.

Lovely scenery every day. It is unfortunate that you cannot hear the birds singing.
 Oh out of order again. Here is a closeup of the castle.

 I had the good fortune to come across these 2 charming peregrinos. He is from Summerside PEI and she is from Britain. They do a camino together every year and spend all vacations together. We walked together all day. But I now know where all of the English speakers go. Most of them seem to prefer a step up from the albergues and stay in hotels. Me, I kind of like the albergues and the dorm style. Last night though there was only 1 toilet/shower for 15 peregrinos. It was constantly busy.
Notice that large plate in the foreground; it is mine. It did serve as lunch and dinner as well.
It did rain again today, the hills look lovely with a blanket of mist. This evening it is raining hard. Every day my weather app tells me there are just 2 more days of rain. I think that when the sun does come out I will again be wishing for the clouds.
831 kms seems low. By the guidebook we should have about 896 kms to go. The kms go quickly, my boots are comfortable and dry, my feet are happy and my pack feels good.
 On my walk around the lovely but quiet (it is Sunday) town of Monestoria I found the Iglesia de San Pedro. The host of our albergue is the padre here. The church was busy with several folks preparing for the Easter procession.

Note the Mary's tears and her heart is broken in two.
A friendly helper showed me around and took the time to explain what was happening.
A couple from Belguim that I met on day 1.
In the kitchen of our immaculate alberque, the host seems to be obsessive compulsive about cleaning, in a very good way. This alberque is so well taken care of and so well organized, it is the best one so far.
Today and this evening were excellent.
Oh and 2 women from France are staying here. I get to practice my french!
So far there are only 5 of us here. I have a room all to myself unless there are some late arrivals.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, sounds like everything is going good for you!
    Love the countryside and the castles!
    Hope when the sun comes out it's not too hot for you.
    Love you, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      (your comment comes thru as unknown so not sure who I am thanking. :)

      Delete
  2. Deb, is there a map online of the route you're following? Or website describing your camino? I'd love to have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, if you google map of Via de la Plata that should work. You can also try adding the word stages which hopefully will give you mileage between stops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated thanks, Deb. I just went back and saw your response. Will follow your route...

    ReplyDelete