Monday, April 1, 2019

England Day 3 & 4
I am just leaving England after a very busy and enjoyable few days. I will be returning however, in 2 months time, when C and I will walk the South Downs Way.
Yesterday we joined C's walking group at the village of Canford Magna for a 9.5 mile (not km) tramp with her hiking group. We were 10 happy walkers, the others all took time to talk to me and to make me feel very welcome. We walked through woods where the gardening experts pointed out the various wildflowers, around a lake / reservoir where the birding expert pointed out grebes and coots (and there were swans as well), along the Stour River, through farm fields (lambs!) and residential neighbourhoods. C has been sick with a cough but even so she powered through never complaining. The weather was cool and cloudy with some sunny breaks, perfect for walking.
Arriving back at her place, C's wonderful daughter was busy in the kitchen creating a fabulous Mothers Day Tea. Soon C's son, daughter in law and energetic 3 year old granddaughter M joined the party. Young M assisted her aunt in making the scones, there was much merriment and good cheer enjoyed by all. It seemed a perfect mothers day celebration.
Today up early, quick breakfast then C drove me to the closest train station, New Milton from where I took the train to Gatwick. C has taken wonderful care of me, feeding me, leading me on hikes, sharing lovely conversation and giving me my own room to sleep in. I really soaked up C' s kind, warmhearted hospitality. For the next 8 weeks I am on my own, in a non english speaking country, responsible for keeping myself fed, healthy and safe.
I do have occasional periods of panic when I truly wonder about the sanity of what I am about to undertake but most of the time I am committed to the challenge.
Next Stop Seville. Via de la Plata, here I come.

Later: I thankfully missed the downpour, weather is cool here today which is ok with me.
The airport was a breeze, good signage, a bus pulled up as soon as I arrived outside. I got lost attempting to make my way to Pension Vergara, apparently my off line maps do not offer walking directions.
I am staying within a couple of blocks of the Cathedral so the 1st thing I did was to get my Pilgrim Passport stamped. Then wandered enjoying the busy ambience and had a very late dinner of ensalada mixta.
I was checking out the footwear of fellow tourists to see if any others were pilgrims
No one yet.
the hiking group


awww

Mothers' Day

granddaughter M
saying farewell at New Milton



Evening light on the cathedral

2 comments:

  1. Hey honey you are about to embark on a long journey that you have been looking forward to for many years. In a few days everything will seem like old hat and it will be just as you had planned for. Happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Glad you've arrived. All sounds great. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete