Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Wet Feet


7am breakfast at this hotel/truck stop, the room was nice with my own bathroom. Peregrinos get a 1/2 price rate of 19€.

We had a couple of hours first thing of overcast but it was not raining. It did however rain heavily during the night so the trail was wet wet wet.
We have done the entire route that is shown on this plaque.
Foxglove
                      A sample of the trail .                 Looking back from whence we came.
Entering the lovely historic town of Aldeanueva del Camino. In this region are the most intact Roman milestones.
We stopped at a very busy coffee shop for coffee and delicious pastries. I am walking with Lonny as well as 6 other pilgrims.
We had to walk quite a long distance on a (thankfully) quiet road with a very narrow shoulder. Spanish drivers are used to pilgrims sharing their roads, they steer away giving us maximum room.
Lonny and I followed what must have been old route signs. Unfortunately we ignored this sign and ended up on a wet brambly path.
The other pilgrims stayed here at Banos de Montemayor (20 kms). Lonny and I decided that it was too early to stop for the day. We found a place serving tapas, then a grocery store ...cuz there are no facilities coming up... then set off up hill on a steep Roman road for Calzada de Bejar, another 13 kms with lots of steep up and down. We are at 800 meters and are expecting snow this evening.

 The view of Banos de Montemayor, we got lost trying to find the way out of town and also got caught in a hailstorm. Not a great beginning.
                  It rained most of the way.
            But the scenery was beautiful.
We did find the last leg quite challenging, we were cold, wet and tired and the conditions were very wet both on the ground and in the air. The mud was slippery, I was grateful for my poles. We were very thankful to arrive at this welcoming albergue. Again we are in the middle of nowhere. The population here is surely under 100 but there are several businesses that cater to the pilgrims.
"Quilting Danielle" is here, we 3 will likely walk together the next few days.
We heard that Salamanca is very booked up, we will be arriving on Friday. Luckily a fellow here checked a youth hostel and found beds for 5 of us.
The friendly hosts of the albergue. Even though we had groceries we elected to pay 10€ for the homemade meal. It was well worth it, a delicious shrimp soup, salad and pork, wine and a choice of dessert.
It is pouring outside, I have just brought in my boots to dry out, my socks are on the heater.
Today was extremely challenging, I constantly reminded myself that it is all about the journey. I took time to look around and I could see that even through the rain this is very beautiful country. One of my reasons for wanting to experience the Via de la Plata is to see if I am up to the challenge. Today I feel that I am indeed.

My count shows I have now walked 427 kms in 21 days.

2 comments: